The Bon Secours Advanced Heart Failure Center is Central Virginia’s source for the comprehensive treatment of advanced heart failure. As one of the top programs in the nation, our patient-centered program offers the latest medical and surgical treatments to optimize each patient’s care.
Nearly six million Americans are living with heart failure, and another 600,000 are diagnosed each year. Heart failure is a typically a progressive condition where the heart is not able to effectively pump enough blood to meet the oxygen and nutrient needs of the body. The chambers of the heart may respond by stretching to carry more blood to pump through the body or by becoming more stiff and thickened. Over time the heart muscle weakens and is unable to pump as strongly. The New York Heart Association (NYHA) Functional Classification breaks heart failure into four categories (Class I to Class IV) based on physical limitations and severity of disease.
If you or a loved one is diagnosed with heart failure, it is important to be seen by heart failure experts to slow the progression of the disease and help you live a longer, more satisfying life. The Bon Secours Advanced Heart Failure team includes:
- Nationally recognized cardiac surgeons with expertise in heart transplant, mechanical circulatory support and minimally invasive surgery
- Board-certified heart failure cardiologists, electrophysiologists and interventional cardiologists
- Specialty heart failure and LVAD advanced practice cardiac nurses
- Dedicated heart failure social workers
- Heart failure and LVAD facility and staff nurses
- Cardiac rehab nutritionists and exercise physiologists